The average human body is made up of 75% water; with this percentage it’s no surprise that it’s so important that we make sure we stay hydrated. Experts say you should be aiming towards 8 glasses of water a day and if that’s not possible, try to drink as much as you can.
We have quite a few reasons to why you should keep your water bottle near and tips on how to help you stay hydrated!
Reasons to stay hydrated:
- Fatigue – Water is the most important source of energy in the body; if you’re lacking hydration it causes the enzymatic activity in the body to slow down, resulting in tiredness!
- High blood pressure – Blood is 92% water when it’s fully hydrated. When the body is dehydrated the blood becomes thicker, this causes resistance in blood flow resulting in high blood pressure.
- Skin Problems – Dehydration impairs the elimination of toxins through the skin, therefore making it more vulnerable to all types of skin disorders and premature wrinkles – so get drinking!
- Joint stiffness and pain – All joints are padded with cartilage, which again, is mainly composed of water (bit of a pattern here!) When the body is dehydrated the cartilage is weakened and joint repair slows caused pain and discomfort.
- Bladder and Kidney problems – The accumulation of toxins and acid waste that comes with dehydration creates an environment where bacteria thrive resulting in the kidney and bladder being prone to infections.
- Cures headaches – Majority of headaches are caused by dehydration. I always make sure I drink water when I start to get a headache before I head for the medicine cabinet.
Tips and tricks to stay hydrated:
- Drink a glass of water as soon as you wake up in the morning.
- Carry a water bottle around with you.
- Drink through a straw.
- Set an alarm for every hour.
- Drink 2 glasses before bed.
- For every non-water drink, drink 2 glasses of water.
- Spice it up with fruit!
Fruit infused water combinations to try out:
- Immune Boosting Vitamin C Sensation – Lemon, Lime and Orange
- Digestive Superheroes Tummy Tonic – Ginger, Pineapple and Mint
- The Antioxidant A Team – Strawberry, Blueberry and Blackberry
- Health Boosting Strawberry Breeze – Pomegranate and Strawberry
- Bloat B’gone – Lemon, Cucumber, Ginger and Mint
- Work It Out Hydration – Lime and Watermelon
We’ll be trying them out and letting you know what we think of them!
In the meantime, let us know your thoughts and if you have any tips to stay hydrated.