There are various different views on whether or not coffee is beneficial for you. I went through a 6 month period of completely cutting it out myself; to be completely honest, I felt no different – maybe even a bit more lethargic.
It turns out that coffee is actually very healthy; it’s loaded with antioxidants and beneficial nutrients that can actually IMPROVE your health.
We have some of the top health benefits of coffee, that have been confirmed in human studies and some coffee myths that you need to stop believing!
- Coffee can improve your energy levels and make you smarter – caffeine blocks an inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain, which leads to a stimulant effect. This improves energy levels, mood and various aspects of brain function.
- Coffee can help you burn fat – Several studies show that caffeine can increase fat burning in the body and boost the metabolic rate. Caffeine’s is found in almost every fat burning supplement! Although, sadly it doesn’t cancel out what you eat, so if you’re not eating a balanced diet, I guess it won’t help.
- Caffeine can prevent depression and make you happier – One of those people that can’t ditch that bad mood in the morning until you have a coffee? There’s a scientific reason for that – coffee is actually boosting your bad mood, and you’re probably not a morning person!
- Coffee stunts your growth – This is nothing but an old wives’ tale; I’m an example at 5’11’!
- Coffee dehydrates you – Although coffee acts as a mild diuretic, the fluids you consume with the coffee actually offset the fluid loss when you go to the toilet. Therefore it won’t actually cause you to become dehydrated. Make sure you’re drinking lots of water throughout the day anyway!
- Pregnant women can’t drink coffee – Don’t quote me on this, or assume that I am correct but science says there is nothing to worry about as long as the daily consumption is under 200 milligrams. I guess it’s one of those things that’s down to personal preference and lifestyle choices.
Obviously everything in moderation guys!